Friday, January 23, 2009

I won the lottery on Jan. 23

A very close relative of mine, who I also consider a good friend, has recently made some poor choices. Having gone through a very difficult divorce, he chose to use alcohol to make up for his loss. After many, many months of this, legal actions were taken against him and he is now spending 3 months on house arrest.

After having to spend the first week in jail getting out only to go to work, I think he would consider his house arrest as having won the lottery. Still, anytime your world is confined and constricted it isn’t easy. The loneliness and isolation take a toll on your mental, physical and emotional states.

He and I have agreed to video tape his experience. We will use this to log his emotions and mental state throughout this process, and then help others make the right choice before they end up in the same situation. Look for more information on this in my future Blogs.

I have also won the lottery through his struggles. He has been a huge inspiration for me during this time. Where I never received a DUI nor considered myself as having a drinking problem, I still drank most weekends. I wasted morning time being tired from drinking the night before. I wasted money on bottles of wine and 12-packs of beer. I sacrificed health for the perceived benefits of relaxation and good times. I am now in my third week of being alcohol-free. I have more energy, think more clearly, spend even more quality time with my children and have lost weight without changing other items in my diet or adjusting my exercise program. I just won the lottery again.

No comments:

Post a Comment